Monday, November 5, 2012

The Smallest of Thanksgivings (Recipe: Parsleyed Potatoes)

Lava Fields & Basalt
Years ago my husband and I were miles away from our family during the Thanksgiving holiday.  I must confess, I was excited to create a grand Thanksgiving dinner for just the two of us.  I embraced the quiet, slow Thanksgiving cooking in my own kitchen.  We gave thanks over  pomegranate glazed Cornish hens, fresh green beans tossed in butter, garlic & almonds, succotash, sauteed mushrooms over mounds of mashed potatoes and gingery pumpkin parfaits for dessert.

After our bellies were full, we sat down and watched football until we fell asleep in front of the glow of our television.  The Friday following was definitely a black one.  Though I did not find myself in long retail lines but amongst fields of black basalt and snow, hiking through the Craters of the Moon rather than the corridors of the local mall.  Later on that night we sat bundled on a curb while the temperatures dipped into the mid 20s watching the Old Town Holiday Light Parade.  This is what I'd call the best Thanksgiving ever.

Syringa  & Basalt in the snow.
I do love Thanksgiving celebrations with my family.  I've been to dinners seating 20 to 40 people.  I've walked through rooms filled with tables seating absolute strangers and I've sat next to friends or family I had not seen in years, and even though I enjoy the camaraderie between loved ones, that Thanksgiving, the smallest of Thanksgivings was my absolute favorite.

I love that many in the blogosphere are talking turkey, but notice that their eyes are set on such a large scale.  The prize golden bird, the mounds of mashed potatoes, all the traditional sides, yes delicious, but what about those who celebrate the smallest of Thanksgivings like I had years ago?  Well, that is where I come in.  Over the next few weeks I will be sharing traditional and not-so-traditional recipes for the smaller Thanksgiving.

Our first featured recipe for Thanksgiving:  Smaller Scale, Big on Flavors is Parsleyed  Potatoes.  The humble potato is steamed, sliced, sauteed & crisped in butter & tossed with parsley.  Golden potatoes, flecked with green makes for a beautiful side-if you feel like straying away from the traditional mashed potatoes, you should try these.

Parsleyed Potatoes
4 servings
print me!

1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt
  1. Steam the potatoes* until tender.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool and dry out for about 5 minutes.  Then cut in thick (3/4 inch) slices.  (some skins will peel off)
  2. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high and add the butter.  When the butter has stopped foaming and had begun to color lightly, add the potatoes and turn the heat to medium.  Cook on one side until crispy and lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then turn over and cook on the other side until crispy & golden.  Add parsley and salt, toss together and serve.
*How to steam potatoes:    pour boiling water from a kettle into a pot fitted with a steamer, then place the potatoes in the steamer, sprinkle with salt – about 1 rounded teaspoon per 1 lb.  Cover tightly and let them steam over a low heat, just enough to keep the water gently boiling until the potatoes are tender. This will take 20-25 minutes, or 15-20 minutes for small new potatoes.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

I love new potatoes. These look wonderful. I'm going to ask Lloyd for them. ;-)