I have been a bad, bad blogger. I have completely neglected my blog and yours, but now I'm back. I'm totally blaming it on being entranced by the Twilight book series. Well, the first three books, I should have laid the last one down and tended to the blog because it was a total let down.
Please accept my apology with this delicious and summery fruit tart. The crust is a wonderful shortbread crust. The filling is a sweet, smooth, delectable pastry cream that is sure to please. Is it wrong that I can be found standing in front of an opened refrigerator eating spoonfuls of pastry cream out of the container??? Such a temptation and it does happen!
I decorate the tart as if I would arrange a fruit basket or platter. I finish it off by brushing apricot glaze atop the berries.
On a totally unrelated note...once you've visited me stop by and visit Sharon at Culinary Adventures Of A New Wife. Not only is it a great blog and is featuring a fabulous pasta dish at the moment but there is also a contest winning recipe submitted by yours truly in her current post! Sharing recipes is so great.
Fresh Fruit Tart
Fits a 9 inch tart pan
Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
3/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar until just combined.
- Add vanilla
- Turn mixer onto low speed and add sifted flour and salt to the butter mixture. Mix until dough starts to come together.
- Dump onto floured surface and shape into a flat disk.
- Press dough into tart pan, making sure the edges are flat.
- Chill until firm. Butter one side of a square of parchment paper that will fit into tart shell and place it, buttered side down, on the chilled pastry. Fill with rice, beans or pie weights.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the parchment and weights, prick tart all over with tines of a fork. Bake for 20-25 minutes more, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool at room temperature.
adapted from Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
make 2 1/2 cups
6 extra large egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
2 cups whole milk
2 T. unsalted butter
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. heavy cream
1 t. Bacardi golden rum
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in bowl of electric mixer and rub them together using your hands.
- Add egg yolks and beat using paddle attachment, until mixture is pale yellow and falls back into the bowl in a ribbon.
- Bring milk to a boil in a large saucepan and , with the mixer on low, slowly pour it into the egg mixture. Then pour mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon, until mixture is thick, bringing mixture slowly to a boil.
- Once mixture is to a boil, cook for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and mix in butter, vanilla, cream and rum.
- Strain into storage container. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the pastry cream and refrigerate until cold.
- Fill tart shell with pastry cream.
- Add seasonal fruit.
- Brush with glaze. (Melted Apricot or Currant Jelly thinned out with hot tap water)