Original Post: Seven Wonders Of The World, October, 2008.
Happy Halloween. . . well almost. Popcorn balls have a special place in my heart. My Nanny always made them every Halloween and yes it was exciting to go to her house to show off our costumes but it was equally (or more) exciting to sink our teeth into the sugary, sweet, crunchy and sticky goodness known as the popcorn ball.
3 qts. popped popcorn (9 tablespoons of unpopped kernels)
- Boil sugar, syrup, salt, vinegar, vanilla and water to soft ball stage or 250 degrees on candy thermometer
- Pour sugar mixture over popcorn that has been placed in aluminum roasting pan (let cool before forming with buttered hands)
- Shape into baseball or small softball sized balls
Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
4 T. unsalted butter
1 ten oz. bag miniature marshmallows
1/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
3 qts. popped popcorn
1 c M&Ms
- Place popped popcorn and M&M's into an aluminum roasting pan.
- Melt butter in heavy pot over low heat. Add marshmallows and brown sugar, stir until melted. Remove from heat. Let cool for 2-3 minutes
- Pour over popcorn and M&Ms; toss well. With buttered hands, shape into balls.