Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thanksgiving: Smaller Scale; Big on Flavors (Brussels Sprout Slaw w/ Maple Glazed Pecans))

I have a habit of bringing salads or vegetables to holiday dinners.  During the summer months, I love making a broccoli slaw.  It is my favorite dish to eat and share during the warmer months and then it got me to thinking...what kind of slaw could I make for the cooler months.  Slaw...cabbage...(do you see where I'm going with this)...brussels sprouts.  Yuck?  No.  Delicious. I sounded like a plan to me.  And what is so great about this dish is that it doesn't take up any oven or stove top space during those final moments when the host is finishing up the feast.

As the holidays are fast approaching a slight panic is stirring inside.  I need to remind myself to take a breather and enjoy the season.  I hope you all will too.

Brussels Sprout Slaw with Mustard Dressing & Maple Glazed Pecans
4 servings
1/2 cup large pecan halves
1/8 cup pure maple syrup
kosher salt
pepper
1/8 cup Dijon Mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 pound brussels sprouts
1/2 cup cranberries
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a sheet pan with a sheet of foil with nonstick spray.  Place pecans on prepared pan.  Stir together maple syrup, small pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Add to pecans and toss to coat.  Spread in a single layer.  Bake nuts for 5 minutes, stir, and bake for another 5 minutes.  Glaze should be bubbling and thick.  Cool completely.
  2. Whisk mustard, lemon juice, sugar in a small bowl; whisk in oil.  Season with salt & pepper, sugar if needed.
  3. Rinse and trim brussels sprouts, removing any dirty or bruised leaves.  Peel layers until the leaves look shiny and bright.
  4. Slice brussels sprouts 1/8-1/4 inch; transfer to a bowl.
  5. Toss brussels sprouts with enough dressing to coat.  Place in serving bowl and top with pecans & cranberries.

No comments: