And then we have the grackles. The noisy, boisterous, bully of a bird swooping in and eating all of my bird feed. Baking Tot doesn't seem to mind the grackles, refusing to chase them off after I've asked him. I find them to be a nuisance. But nonetheless, with their arrival, I know the promise is being kept.TidyMom and Dine & Dish sponsored by KitchenAid, Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset." I am sharing this Chicken Tortilla Soup and my Summer Corn Chowder recipe!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
4 cups Chile-Lime Chicken Broth
1 ancho chile pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
8 oz. frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Sliced tortilla strips
Garnishes: cilantro, sliced avocado, cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, jalapeno
- Saute onion, bell pepper, garlic in olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, ancho chili powder and cumin, saute for 1 minute
- Add chicken broth, one cup of water, and ancho chile pepper, bring to a boil at medium heat, lower to a simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes or until chile pepper is soft.
- Remove ancho chile pepper from pot and pull off the stem, remove seeds (if desired) and chop. Return back to the pot, add tomatoes and puree mixture with an immersion blender (or puree mixture in a food processor).
- Season with salt and pepper and add shredded chicken, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add corn and black beans and cook for 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- Place tortilla strips in your serving bowls and ladle soup into bowls. Add garnishes.