Salting the bird not only seasons it but it retains moisture resulting in a tender and juicy bird. The flavors of this turkey dish is well rounded-smokiness from the salt, cumin, smoked paprika; spiciness from the chipotle; and sweetened by a lacquering of honey.
Salted Roast Turkey Breast with Honey Chipotle Glaze
Southwestern Spiced Salt (recipe below)
2 (1 1/2 pound) boneless, skinless turkey breast halves
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/3 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
Southwestern Spiced Salt
can be made 1 week ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature
1 oz smoked salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl
- Rub spiced salt over turkey breast halves on both sides and place in a plastic gallon sized bag or baking dish. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove turkey from refrigerator. Rinse turkey and pat dry. Rub butter over the turkey breasts and place on a foiled lined baking sheet fitted with a rack. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, meanwhile, mix honey and chipotle powder in a small bowl. Brush half of the honey mixture and pan juices over turkey halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven when juices are running clear or until thermometer registers 160 degrees F.
- Turn on the broiler. Brush the remaining honey glaze over turkey and broil until honey thickens and turns golden.
- Remove from the oven, brushing pan juices over the bird. Rest for 10 minutes.