Monday, September 19, 2011

Welcoming the rain (Freezer Friendly Crisp Topping)

As I walked out from under our porch, I felt tiny drops of rain fall onto my shoulders.  Could it be?  Oh, my long lost friend how I've missed you!  Even if you are here for a little while, I will welcome you with open arms!  I paused for a moment listening to church bells in the distance.  Could their sweet song be a hymn of rejoice solely because of the rain?  I'd like to think so.

During the transition from summer to the much anticipated autumn I find myself longing to bake with apples, pears and warm spices and prematurely pushing summer out the door with a peach-berry crisp.

 

I make crisp topping and store it in the freezer to ease my cravings for last minute desserts.  I toss fruit with a sprinkling of flour, sugar, cinnamon and let it sit for 30 minutes to macerate.  Then top the fruit with the crisp mixture and bake.  The house smells so delicious!

 

Crisp Topping

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
  1. Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, until the mixture is in large crumbles. Store in the freezer for up to one month or sprinkle evenly over the fruit, covering the fruit completely.  
  2. Bake 350 for 45 minutes to an hour, or when fruit juices are bubbly and topping is golden brown.

No comments: