4 cups of plain flour
1 tbsp cream of tartar
2 cups table salt
4 cups of water
1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
Food coloring (I prefer using gel based food dyes)
- Combine the dry ingredients together.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large pan and heat it over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until the dough feels like stiff, smooth, mashed potatoes. At this point, take it off the stove. Once it has cooled enough (about 2-5 minutes), knead it until it is blended smoothly.
- Divide the dough into several balls. Add food coloring to each ball and knead until color is blended in. This works best if the dough is still warm.
- Store the dough in an airtight container or bag.