Monday, December 20, 2010

Inside the Cookie Box-Spice Cookies

OK.  I'm breaking the silence on my Monday cookie post.  Only to inform you about this cookie.  It is the most requested recipe from my repertoire.  So yes, I've saved the best for last.  I clipped this recipe when I was in high school, so I've had it for a long while.  Every holiday season I whip it out of the recipe box (it makes quite a bit) for cookies swaps or parties, and every year I'm asked for the recipe...so here it is!!!

They have a warm, gingery spice flavor and are so soft on the inside.  I think that is why people LOVE them, because they look look a ginger snap, have a crunchy exterior from being rolled in sugar and a surprisingly soft interior.  I bet you, like me, you'll make these every year.

***From the "Inside the Cookie Box" edition.


Spice Cookies
Yield: about 6 dozen
1 ½ cups unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
½ molasses
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add molasses; mix well.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill overnight.
3. Shape into ¾ oz. (1/2 inch) balls; roll in granulated sugar.
4. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before moving to a wire rack.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

Reblogging. Was just heading out to the grocery store before we begin the baking. I'm picking up stuff to make these! Thanks!