Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf."

Actually, I don't hate meatloaf at all.  My sister and I always loved that line from A Christmas Story and I'm sure we were guilty of chanting it just as my mother placed the meatloaf on the table.  It seems that people either love meatloaf or hate it, never do I hear, "Eh, its tolerable..."  Well, I have found one that is definitely lovable!

This meatloaf is truly great and has become our meatloaf of choice.  For years I had made Ina Garten's Turkey Meatloaf and decided to give this one a try.  Sorry Ina, this one has defeated you.  There is heat from the Srichacha and sweetness from the brown sugar in the topping, mushrooms give a nice texture and moistness and best of all (and like Ina's) it is a lighter version of meatloaf because it is turkey.  It is seriously good, so homey and perfect for chilly winter's night.
Spicy Turkey Meat Loaf with Ketchup Topping
yield: 8 servings

1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chopped onion
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Sriracha chile sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ pounds ground turkey breast
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to pan; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
3. Combine mushroom mixture, panko, and next 8 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; stir well to combine. Shape turkey mixture into a 9 x 5-inch rectangle on a foil lined pan coated with cooking spray.
4. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and nutmeg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spread ketchup mixture evenly over top of meat loaf; bake for 40 minutes, or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Print Me!!!

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

I looooove meatloaf. I will send this to Lloyd and ask him to try it. I haven't been all that keen on the meatloaf he's made lately.

Stephanie