The Best Tuna Salad (slightly adapted)
source: Cooks Country
yield: 2 cups or four sandwiches
3-(5 ounce) cans solid white albacore tuna packed in water
1 large shallot, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 celery rib, chopped finely
- Marinate Tuna: place tuna in a fine-mesh strainer and press dry with paper towels. Transfer to medium bowl and mash with fork until finely flaked. Microwave shallot and oil in small bowl until shallot begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Combine onion mixture, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and sugar with tuna and let sit 10 minutes.
- Finish Salad: Stir mayonnaise and celery into tuna mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Serve. (Can be refrigerated in airtight container for 1 day.)
6 ounces pecan halves
4 ounces whole almonds
4 ounces cashews
4 ounces walnuts
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place nuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Combine cayenne pepper, brown sugar, salt and melted butter in a large bowl.
- Toss warm nuts into the bowl with melted spiced butter. Toss until coated. Serve warm or pack it up in a take-out container and go on a picnic!