Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Book By It's Cover (Recipe: Turkey Meatballs)

Turkey Meatballs over Linguine
I have been a little absent from the blogging world lately.  I have found myself curled up on a couch, snuggled away in the warmth of my comforter or enjoying the mild winter weather on the back porch with my feet propped up and book in hand.

I'll admit I am not much of a reader.  I had been when I was younger, the young age of 9 or 10, but once high school rolled around books disappeared from my life.  I don't know why, but they did.

A promise of Spring
In my adulthood, I found myself reading cookbooks like I would have any other book.  My husband would joke and say if a book didn't involve wizards, werewolves or vampires it would never be able hold my attention.

The past few weeks though, I've read four books.  I succumbed to the pressure and jumped on the bandwagon to read the Hunger Game Series.  I liked it.  I liked it even more because my youngest sister was reading it too and we would talk about our readings quite often.  It was nice to share thoughts of the book with her.

Then last week I did something I had never done...bought a random book.  Just because I liked its cover.  It was a dark and disturbing book and in the end I was pleased with my purchase.  So pleased, I may have to shop by the cover again.

The weather has been cold and wet the past few days.  Perfect for stews, braises, comfort foods and reading.  You'd think because of my recent readings I'd supply you with a recipe for cheese buns, lamb stew, or some type of "stuck in a cabin with a kidnapper" type food, but I am not going to. What I do have is meatballs.  Meatballs on the lighter side-delicious turkey meatballs.
Much needed rain
Turkey Meatballs
courtesy of the lovely Giada, of course
  • 1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 pound ground turkey, (I use 85/15)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 pound dried linguine
  1. In a large bowl add bread crumbs milk and mix until well combined. Mix in eggs and 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese and mix well. Add turkey and gently combine, being careful not to overwork the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into golf-size balls.
  2. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. When almost smoking, add meatballs and without moving or turning the meat, allow it to brown for about 3 minutes. Turn meatballs and brown other side. Continue to cook until all sides are golden brown, about 8 minutes total. 
  3. Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow meatballs to simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and keep warm on stove. Be careful not to overhandle the meatballs since they are soft and fragile.
  4. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.  Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain pasta in a colander.
  5. Remove meatballs from sauce and place in serving bowl. Pour some tomato sauce over meatballs, but leave about 1 cup of sauce in skillet. Place the cooked pasta into the skillet with the remaining sauce and toss well. Pour sauced pasta into a large serving bowl. Serve alongside the meatballs.

No comments: