This is a very festive way to serve grapefruit during Christmas breakfast. Segmented grapefruit are placed in hollowed out grapefruit halves and drizzled with a sweet red wine syrup. There is always a grapefruit lover sitting at the breakfast table and this recipe just makes it a little more special. The syrup and grapefruit segments can be prepared a day before and stored in the refrigerator and the cup can be assembled before service. It is a great dish for our Christmas Breakfast Menu!
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Breakfast
Eggnog French Toast
Maple Glazed Sausage
Holiday Fruit Salad
Grapefruit Cups in Wine Syrup
Grapefruit Cups in Red Wine Syrup
Bon Appetit, December 2001
- 10 red grapefruit
- 3/4 cup dry red wine, such as Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Cut peel and white pith from 6 grapefruit. Working over bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. Cover and chill segments at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Cut remaining 4 grapefruit in half. Using juicer, juice grapefruit. Pour 3/4 cup juice into heavy medium saucepan. (Reserve any remaining juice for another use.)
- Using spoon, scoop out membranes from grapefruit halves and discard, reserving grapefruit cups.
- Add wine and sugar to juice in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Cool wine syrup to room temperature. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover grapefruit halves and wine syrup separately and refrigerate. Bring wine syrup to room temperature before using.)
- Arrange grapefruit cups on large platter. Divide segments among cups. Drizzle each grapefruit cup with wine syrup and serve.