I definitely can relate! I remember the spring semester of my sophomore year I ate cereal for dinner almost every night; well, with the exception of one day during the week. Just across our dorm parking lot sat Little Caesars Pizza and luckily enough they held their "crazy deal" on Wednesdays (a mere bag of 6 breadsticks for a $1.00.) I can smell them as I type. I LOVED them.
I brought these cookies on a busy workday and received many compliments...and a few requests to make more. Apparently, I work with some cookie lovers (or lemon lovers.)
Speaking of, I cannot believe my lemonade recipe has swiftly climbed up to the second most popular post on this humble little blog. There must be a lot of lemon fans out there. I know I'm one of them. So I'm positive there will be a lot of happy people visiting this recipe. These cookies are cakey and soft with a delicate and subtle lemon flavor-the first thought that crossed my mind after biting into one was ahhh! Spring has arrived! The second...wouldn't they be beautiful on your Easter table?
Lemon Sandwich Cookies
Bon Appetit January 2009
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups (packed) powdered sugar
- Using back of spoon, mash lemon peel and salt to paste in medium bowl.
- Add butter and lemon juice. Using electric mixer, beat until fluffy.
- Add sugar in 4 batches, beating after each addition until blended.
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolk
- Boil lemon juice and lemon peel in small saucepan until mixture is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 4 minutes. Pour into small bowl and cool. Sift flour, salt, and baking soda into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add sugar; beat until blended. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in yolks. Beat in lemon juice mixture. Add dry ingredients and stir to blend well. Cover dough and chill until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out 1/3 of dough on lightly floured surface to scant 3/8-inch thickness. Using 2-inch round cutter, cut out cookies. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until golden at edges, about 12 minutes. Let cookies cool 5 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Gather 2 teaspoons filling and roll into a ball. Place in the center of the flat side of 1 cookie. Top with another cookie, flat side down. And gently squeeze cookies together. Repeat to make more sandwich cookies.