Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tomato Sauce Part II: Chicken Parmesan

Aren't Wednesdays fun when I have a follow up to a previous post?  I really love this chicken parmesan because it is so simple.  I just whip some tomato sauce out of the refrigerator, season and quickly saute the cutlets, assemble the dish for the oven and ta-dah!  I have dinner.  It is a fave of the Baking Toddler and Baking Husband too!


Baking Toddler at 13mos old.  1 1/2 years later he's still digging the sauce!
Speaking of the Baking Toddler...for the last two weeks I have witnessed a miracle.  I'm really hesitant to even tell you because I'm afraid I will jinx myself.  But this is great...so here it goes.  For the first time in two years, six months, two weeks and one day my son decided to sleep through the night.  He has done this for two weeks straight.  I just want everyone to know what an epic event this is in our house.  So I urge everyone to congratulate me him on sleep...beautiful sleep.  It is such a happy, momentous occasion.


Easy Chicken Parmesan
serves 4
4 (3oz) chicken cutlets
1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Kosher Salt & Pepper
1 cup Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Instructions
  • Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. 
  • Drizzle olive oil over both sides of the chicken and season with salt, pepper, thyme and basil.
  • Heat a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add the cutlets and cook just until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the skillet from the heat. 
  • Spoon a small amount of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9" baking dish or glass pie plate.  Place chicken in dish and pour sauce over and around the cutlets. 
  • Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan evenly over each cutlet. Sprinkle the butter pieces atop the cutlets.
  • Bake until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. 
***Serve atop pasta or along side a simple salad.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

Yay for you and the toddler! Isn't that nice?! This looks really good. You know who I'll be sending this link to so we can have some!