Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Ones Left Behind-Black and White Cheesecake Squares

I am so glad the holidays are past us.  This year was not that super jolly for me.  I suppose I can blame it on my part time retail job.  Its like the shoppers sucked all the Christmas spirit right out of the air.  I don't know what it was with this year, but people seemed extra greedy.  And it ate at me, almost every day.

I understand being frugal and thrifty, but some folks are ruthless once Black Friday rolls around.  Why do they feel so damned entitled?  I think I finally had it on Christmas Eve when a customer threw a fit over four measly dollars.  Let me see if I can explain this:

She bought items all on sale for 20% off and then she added a $20 welcome offer (coupon) on top of that.  The computer system totaled her items, deducted the $20, and then took 20% off of that final total.  OH NO, that WAS NOT good enough...because if the computer deducted 20% off of her items FIRST, then took off the $20 for the coupon it would be four dollars less.  She huffed and puffed over this until she figured out we couldn't change it and then ranted on how a 20% sale was not enough for the holidays.  But here is the kicker people, I work in a store that sells high end purses/bags/accessories...already marked down 25-50% for an everyday price.  What a moron.  I wanted to give her four damn dollars and shove her out the door.

I just want to leave that day behind me, leave all of those stingy, greedy people behind, leave the season behind me...

Speaking of things being left behind,  I found a few photos that were tucked away and just never made it onto the blog.  And if the photo didn't make it, well, the recipe didn't make it either.  It's not that they were bad recipes, but maybe I just thought something would be better at the time.  So here is the first recipe that was left behind...in errr, 2009????

I wish I had these black and white cheesecake squares greeting me on Christmas Eve.  They would have been the perfect pick me up!

Black and White Cheesecake Squares

Print Me!

source:  Martha Stewart Living April 2009

Makes 24.
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 10 ounces (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Line dish with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both long sides, then spray parchment.
  2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cream butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until smooth. Add 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla, and beat until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Increase speed to medium; beat until incorporated.
  3. Reserve 1 cup of dough; cover, and refrigerate. Press remaining dough into bottom of prepared dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake until base is set and edges are puffed, about 25 minutes. Let cool in dish on a wire rack.
  4. Mix cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and remaining egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread over cooled base; crumble reserved dough on top. Bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in dish on wire rack, then lift out using overhang. Cut into 24 squares. Squares will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

Mmmm. Those look pretty good. May have to post those on the blog, too! :-) Besides, your story is just great. Ya' gotta' love people, don't you? Just crazy.