Monday, August 30, 2010
The Amazing Disappearing Rice Krispie Treat
What is it about this goody that sends kids and adults alike running toward the dessert buffet? Is it because it creates a feeling of nostalgia? Is it because of our secret adoration for Snap, Crackle and Pop? Or, is it because of the sweet, sticky, gooey concoction that holds the little puffed rice together? Whatever the reason (and I'm pretty sure it is a combination of all the above) they don't last very long around my house.
These treats are very simple to make and not too time consuming. I've used different cereal too, Cocoa Krispies®, Cocoa Puffs®, Fruit Loops®, Cap'n Crunch®...the list goes on... This recipe trends a little off of the original-they are a little bit more buttery and gooey!
Melissa's Cereal Treats
yield: 16 squares
7 cups mini marshmallows
5 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 t. salt
6 cups of puffed rice cereal (or any other crunch, puffed cereal)
1. Coat an 8x8-baking pan with nonstick spray. Line with a sheet of waxed paper, allowing for an overhang to allow you to lift the cereal treats out of the pan. Spray with nonstick spray.
2. Cook the marshmallows, butter and salt over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until smooth.
3. Remove from heat and stir cereal into the marshmallow mixture using a heat resistant, rubber spatula; mix thoroughly and fold the mixture bringing up marshmallows from the bottom of the pan.
4. Spoon in mixture. Coat hands with nonstick spray and press mixture firmly into the pan. Press into the corners of the pan and the top to smooth. Allow to cool.
5. Remove from pan by lifting the overhanging waxed paper ends. Cut into cubes.