Monday, July 12, 2010

Mixed Greens with Blueberries and Lime Vinaigrette

This post only seems to be fitting in every way possibly at the moment.  For one, July is National Blueberry Month-so lets honor our favorite, tiny, plump, blue friend.  Did you know blueberries are grown in 35 states in the US, and the United States produces over 90% of all of the blueberries in the world.  Just wanted to share a little factoid with you.

Secondly, and on a more personal note, I have grown tired of my weight and have finally decided to do something about it.  For months P90X has been staring me in the face and I finally decided to pop it into the DVR.  Oh. My. Word.  It is tough, but I actually enjoy it quite a bit.  You tend to be so busy during the workout that you don't get bored (I used to suffer from gym-boredom) and time flies by quickly.

And as always, with exercise comes a healthier diet.  I used to have a strict regimen before BabyBoy came along and once he reached toddlerhood I found myself snacking...a lot.  Not to mention the sweet tooth (obviously, I have a blog dedicated to homey baked goods).  But don't worry-I'll still be baking...I'll just be sending my sweet treats to the hubby's work!

OK time to talk salad!  This was such a palate pleasing salad.  The vinaigrette was tart and tangy with a delicate, mild note from the shallot.  The blueberries give a burst of sweetness that lends a pleasant surprise.  All in all, the flavors marry very nicely.

Mixed Greens with Blueberries and Lime Vinaigrette
recipe from Central Market, adapted from 12 Best Food Cookbook
4 cups, organic baby spring mix
¼ cup mint leaves, stacked and cut crosswise into thin strips
Juice of ½ lime
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. shallot, chopped
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup blueberries

1. Place spring mix and mint in large mixing bowl.
2. To make the dressing, combine lime juice, vinegar, shallot and salt in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil and season with pepper.
3. Pour the dressing over the greens, and toss to coat lightly. Sprinkle blueberries over the greens.
PRINT ME

3 comments:

Maria said...

I have to make this salad. LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

My husband hates fruit and salad and I think its the best part. Love the lime viaigrette!

Maris said...

Looks delish and so perfect for summer! Blueberries are the best!