Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Road Trippin'-Almond & Peanut Butter Granola Bars
My mom always packed snacks for us to eat, which was special because we were NEVER allowed to eat in he car. Looking back it seemed that she chose very carefully what was given to us, being that none would stain the upholstery of the seats. At most she'd have to vacuum out crumbs.
Our road trips made for a great summer and wonderful memories. I am anxious to start the tradition with my husband and son.
What is your favorite road trip memory?
Chewy Almond-Peanut Butter Granola Bars
Makes 12 bars
½ c. old-fashioned oats
½ c. dried cranberries
½ c. sliced almonds
¼ c. all natural peanut butter
¼ c. all natural almond butter
½ c. brown sugar
½ t. cinnamon
3 T. vegetable or canola oil
1 T. water
¼ t. salt
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees, line an 8 x 8 baking pan with two strips of parchment paper, allowing a 2 inch over hang for all sides.
2. In a large bowl combine oats, cranberries and almonds
3. Over low heat, combine almond and peanut butters, brown sugar, oil, salt, water and cinnamon in a small saucepan until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
4. Whisk egg white into the cooled peanut butter mixture until combined.
5. Fold peanut butter mixture into oats mixture and combine until moistened.
6. Pour into prepared pan, spreading and smoothing mixture evenly
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, cool for 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool completely. Cut into 12 bars