Wednesday, July 24, 2013

the sea, the sky and friendship

6:45 am wake up call
What you don't know about the bougainvillea...it may or may not house an opossum...poolside
A walk with friends.  Pleasure Pier
Trying to keep up.  This seagull is longing to fly with the pelicans.
Poolside view; palms, pottery, the gulf
This past weekend I met up with a few of my high school friends in Galveston.  It had been ages since we had seen one another; one I had seen a few months ago, some three years ago and another eight years ago.

And after all of those years of being apart, it seemed like we picked up where we left off.  It was natural, seamless, effortless.  We were still comfortable and to me, that is when you know you are amongst true friends.  You don't have to try.

We talked of our younger years, when we were carefree, a little careless, and a lot of fun.  We talked about our children, our husbands, our adult lives.  We laughed.  We laughed until our stomachs ached.  Even after all these years we were still a lot of fun.
***
I have always felt that I was a good friend "in the moment."  But once we part ways, whether it be to a different school, different city, or state, or country, I fail in keeping the connection.  It is not that I become disinterested in my friends lives, or that I've moved on, I just don't keep up.  And I think about them.  Alot.  But I never act upon that, never take it any further than a thought.  It is a flaw.  My flaw.  I've known this about myself for a very long time.  I feel like the seagull pictured above-flanking his feathered friends, trying to keep up but to no avail falls behind, pushed by the gusts of a strong wind.

Nowadays it is easier to stay connected, thanks to social media.  Especially for someone like me-someone who watched their kinships from afar.  I am thankful for the opportunity to enjoy my friends again.  I hope to try harder.

No comments: