Wednesday, May 22, 2013

a man's got to drive slow with lemon tarts in the backseat


Weeks ago someone asked me who I thought was the greatest TV mom that ever existed.  Coming from my generation there is no doubt in my mind that Clare Huxtable is the greatest TV mom ever.  I loved The Cosby Show then and to this day I will catch myself watching the reruns.  Recently my favorite Cosby Show episode, The Last Barbecue, aired and I laughed just as much as I did the first, tenth, fiftieth, and gazillionth time watching it.

Why is it my favorite????  Must you ask...

1.  Who doesn't love a family barbecue?  Dr. Huxtable prepares a delicious family barbecue all the while his older daughters, their spouses and this son, Theo, are in a heated argument over the fact that Theo hired a stripper for his brother-in-law's bachelor party.

2.  Oh, which piece would you like, Elvin?  Is the question the eldest Huxtable daughter asks her husband after she and her sister contend that hiring a stripper is sexist and degrading and are equally upset that their spouses do not openly agree to their views.  Elvin sheepishly decides on a tiny little wing, afraid to admit he'd actually like a different piece of chicken.  As the argument flares up once again, he throws down his tiny nibbled chicken wing and declares, "Give me a breast!  The big one!"

3.  That dag-blamed fan dance story:  Grandma & Grandpa arrive and things temporarily cool off.  Grandpa shares with the family that he indeed had a fan dancer at his bachelor party more than 50 years ago.  Grandma shares some wise advise with her grandchildren, "If you spend all your time over points of contention between men and women, there will be little time for romance."

4.  Lemon Tarts:  Once grandma pulls grandpa into the kitchen to help plate up her lemon tarts (his favorite), she wallops him with a plate and finally admits that his fan dance story sickens her after all these years.

5.  Clare Huxtable to Theo (aka the best mom line ever):  Where, where have you been?  You have been no where and that is where you're going to stay if you don't quit stirring up trouble.

6.  The Secret is in The Sauce:  Dr. Huxtable claims that his barbecue sauce has the magic power of bringing everyone together.  He then shares with his wife that he set a cup on their nightstand for the night and is letting is breath.  That guy sure did get some...alot!  I never noticed until I was older. Oblivious when I was young-so that was a good thing.

I found the episode on Hulu, click here if you want to watch it.

Lemon Tart
serves 8
Vanilla Bean Sugar Dough
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperture
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
pinch of salt

For Filling
One recipe of lemon curd-get recipe here
*note:  link is for my lemon-lime curd, which would make a great tart.  If you just want lemon, well, just use all lemons in the provided recipe!
**note:  I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch as my curd was finishing.  Strain curd for ultra smooth texture.
  1. Cream butter and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just combined. Add vanilla bean paste and then the flour and salt.
  2. Mix on low speed until the mixture comes together.
  3. Press dough into a 10" tart shell with a removable bottom, making sure it is pressed evenly and the edges are flush.  Place in freezer until dough is firm.
  4. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Remove firm tart shell and place it on a baking sheet.  Cover with a piece of parchment and fill the parchment with rice or beans for blind baking.  Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the parchment paper from the tart shell carefully.  Prick the tart with a fork and bake for 20-25 minutes more or until golden brown.
  5. Let the tart shell cool completely.  Once cooled carefully remove the shell from the pan and place on serving platter.
  6. Carefully pour your prepare lemon curd into the tart shell and let it cool completely.  Serve at room temperature or cold from the refrigerator.  

2 comments:

BCS Makeup by Kristen said...

I bet this is AWESOME! I was just thinking about making a batch of lemon curd!

Mama Pea said...

Clair Huxtable IS the greatest. :-) I love the look of this dessert!