Monday, April 29, 2013

chasing rainbows (recipe: honey roasted peanut butter pancakes)

Rainbow Over the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone Summer 2007
You know I've been chasing rainbows, running after dreams
As long as I remember, I've been bustin' at the seams
But I know all things are possible to those that can believe
So I keep chasing rainbows, God supplies my needs
~Dolly Parton

And here is my good news...I will be starting a new job in the next coming weeks.  After a five year hiatus, I am rejoining the culinary industry.  I have perused many job boards for years and finally threw my name into the hat-on a whim.  I was so nervous, knowing I don't look good on paper when it comes to this particular industry.  I've wanted to be a part of it so badly-but I stand by my choices, I've waited for my moment and I hope this is it.

I struggled with leaving my part-time retail job.  Not because I love it, because that my friends would be untrue, but because it is so easy.  I struggle with the idea of my son possibly going to pre-school for an extra day.  I fear for my balance.  I am so excited and equally scared shitless.
photo credit sbrightly.tumblr.com
I am proud of myself for just trying.  I used to try all the time.  I had more drive and courage in my teens and twenties and when my thirties rolled around courage and drive rolled far from my grasp.  My husband is proud of me just for trying.  He never tells me things like that but he admitted that tidbit the other day.  I want to be that person who tries-I want my son to see that it is OK to put yourself out there and risk things.  I hope to be that kind of role model for him.

In fact, on our drive to Houston last weekend a piece of "Urban Art" (aka graffiti) made me think of all of those thoughts listed above but also this:  Who is the "someone" I want to be?

For now-I want to be that someone who chases rainbows...for me, my family, my son.
Totally off the subject...I made pancakes tonight.  Peanut Butter Pancakes.  Fluffy, flavorful, sweet and salty (thanks PB & Syrup).  Definitely a must try!  Need batter advise?  Here is a tutorial for light and fluffy pancakes.
Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Pancakes
source:  Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
1 1/4 AP flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy
1/4 cup all natural honey roasted peanut butter
  1. In a small bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
  2. In a large measuring cup or separate small bowl stir milk and peanut butter until well combined.
  3. Add the liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined, batter should have small lumps.
  4. Lightly butter griddle or frying pan and spoon 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto heated pan.  Turn once pancake is dry around the edges and bubbles form at the top of pancake.  Cook a few minutes more on other side, until golden brown.  Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

MMMM...peanutbutter and pancakes. That sounds good. Thanks for this recipe!

Good for you for trying and for chasing rainbows. I'm so excited you're getting back into the culinary biz. I know it's your love. I would love to hear more about it (and hubby's opportunities). I think the balance thing works itself out. Give it a try. It'll be okay.