Monday, February 11, 2013

devilishly delicious (recipe: meyer lemon bars)

Wholesome Update:  I've been doing really well, eating well and enjoying my food.  Savoring flavors and experiencing textures, discovering my likes and dislikes.  For the most part I've been good, though I regularly sport a little devil on my shoulder that prompts me to eat a bite of candybar or sneak a lemon square, but honestly I have made a drastic improvement on what I choose to nourish my body.

For years I've wanted to share my lemon bar recipe with you and today is the day I finally do it.  I have to admit, it is probably my favorite treat made from my kitchen.  Bright and bold, tart and tangy-it really is hard to turn away from these bites of sunshine.  I use Meyer lemons, a hybrid between a lemon and a mandarin or common orange.  It has a wonderful balance of tart and sweet and is a great ingredient to use in desserts.  If they are not readily available to you, use a common lemon and add another 1/2 cup sugar to the filling.  So now you know what my big cheat has been this week.


Meyer Lemon Bars
source:  Barefoot Contessa Parties, Ina Garten

Crust
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
pinch of kosher salt

Filling
6 extra-large eggs, room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
1 cup flour

Confectioner's sugar, for dusting

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. For the crust, mix all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on low, until a dough forms.  Dump the dough into a a 9x13 inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2 inch on all sides.  Chill until firm.
  3. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned.  Let cool on a wire rack.  Leave oven on.
  4. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.  Pour over the crust and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the filling is set.  Let cool to room temperature.
  5. Cut into squares or triangles and dust with confectioner's sugar.

2 comments:

BCS Makeup by Kristen said...

OH MY!

These look amazing! I will be making these SOON!

Caroline said...

YUMMMMMMM!