"I love making Bechamel. Such and easy sauce, equal parts flour to fat with enough milk and bay leaf to bring it to the right consistency. What a versatile little kitchen slut. She'll go with cheese, dairy, wine, whatever. Nutmeg is her BFF."
Cute right? I also followed a link of his that led me to a Macaroni & Cheese recipe using FAGE Total Greek Yogurt. The recipe makes a great cheese sauce and the sauteed onion & red bell pepper lend a slight sophistication in flavor.
Macaroni & Cheese-Greek Yogurt Style
8oz medium shells whole wheat pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, plus more to butter casserole dish & dot the topping
1 1/2-2 cups whole milk, warmed
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
10 ounces sharp cheddar shredded, plus 1/4 cup shredded for topping
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Saute the onion & bell pepper in olive until onions are translucent. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & butter a 2 quart casserole.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in saute pan and add flour, cooking for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the warm milk and 1/2 cup of yogurt, whisking until smooth. Add nutmeg. Bring to a low simmer and remove from heat. Add 10 oz. cheddar and whisk until smooth. Add remaining yogurt & sriraca. Toss together pasta, onion/pepper mixture & cheese sauce. Transfer into prepared casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, toss 1/4 cup cheddar, feta & panko bread crumbs into a small bowl. Remove casserole from oven and add topping. Dot with butter. Return to oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown & bubbling.