- One box of cake mix
- One container of ready-made frosting (not whipped)
- 2-3 lbs. of candy coating/melts/bark/wafers (found in the baking aisle of your local craft store)
- Lollipop Sticks
- Decorative Sprinkles, Balls, Candies, etc.
- Syrofoam block
1. Bake a 9x13 cake according to instructions on cake box. Let cool completely. Can be done the day before and covered tightly overnight.
2. Make cake crumbs. The easiest and most efficient way to do this is to cut cake into quarters. Place two of the quarters in your hands and rub them together over a large bowl. Repeat with the other two quarters. Instant crumbles! Go through the crumbled cake and make sure every bit is finely crumbled. ***Note: For light colored cakes, trim off any brown edges to achieve the same color cake throughout cake pop and get rid of unattractive brown bits.
3. Add Frosting. The ratio I used was a scant 3/4 container frosting to 1-9x13 boxed cake. Start out by adding 1/2 of the container of frosting to the crumbled cake and mix together with a large spoon. Add a few more dollops until the mixture can form a ball and hold its shape. Make sure it isn't too moist or it will not stay on the stick!
4. Start Rolling! For consistency in size, use a cookie scoop and roll cake mixture into balls. Set on a waxed or parchment lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for two hours until firm.
5. Place Candy Melts into a microwave safe plastic bowl and melt in the microwave. Make sure microwave setting is at 50% and melt in 30 second intervals, stirring between times. Once the candy has melted, now you can dip. Pull four cold cake balls out of the refrigerator. Dip 1/4 inch of the lollipop stick into the melted candy. Insert stick into the bottom of the cake ball, making sure you only insert it to the middle of the ball. Dip cake ball into the candy coating making sure it is covered completely. The tiniest hole in the coating can cause the cake pop to crack once it hardens. You can use a toothpick to cover any holes. Place in Styrofoam blocks to dry upright.
6. Decorate! Sprinkle on candies. Melt some more candy & drizzle the top of the pops! And now enjoy & eat them!
source: Cake Pops by: Bakerella