Monday, January 30, 2012

Purple Cabbage Salad with Edamame, Golden Raisins, and Smoked Almonds

It has seemed more like spring around here with quick winter moments peaking through maybe once a week.  We had a terrible thunderstorm earlier last week and I found myself with eyes peeled open in the middle of the night listening for softball size hail or a tornado.  I was terrified.  I am not used to thunderstorms anymore, which I find strange since I grew up in the Coastal Texas Region where storms are aplenty.

Even though this has been a springlike winter I have been searching for a colorful salad that would brighten things up a bit.  I think this salad is beautiful and so very colorful.  I simply adore smoked almonds and snack on them quite often, so I thought they were a perfect fit for this crunchy, sweet salad.


Purple Cabbage Salad with Edamame, Golden Raisins, and Smoked Almonds
Vegetarian Times January 2011
serves 6

1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1 orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
1 cup finely diced pineapple
1/4 cup golden raisins
16 smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 tsp. chile-garlic sauce
  1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil.  Add frozen edamame, and cook for 8-10 minutes.  Drain, rinse under cold water.
  2. Transfer to a large bowl; add cabbage, bell pepper, pineapple, raisins, almonds, mint, lime juice, honey, and chile-garlic sauce.  Toss well, and season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

That is really bright and pretty. I don't usually care for cabbage much, but I would try it because this is so pretty. I'm forwarding this one to Lloyd, too! He loves cabbage.

Though I've heard of edamame, I have not eaten it. What does it taste like?