Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Because I was lazy (Recipe: Pasta Salad)

My husband and I attended a party earlier this month.  The same party we have been going to for the past decade.  And for ten years I have contributed to the potluck...except for this year.  I didn't make a darn thing.  I didn't even stop to purchase an artisan loaf, fruit platter, watermelon, or a cheap box of pre-fab cookies.  I just brought myself (and the hubs & toddler) and did not feel guilty about it.  I usually do, but not this time around.

I suppose I could blame it on potty training the days before and morning of.  Or the fact that the Baking Tot had been ill for a few days.  Or that I had been making jam in the wee hours of the morning.  What the heck, I'll admit it, I was tired...and lazy.  I had all the ingredients for my favorite pasta salad just waiting to be composed and yet I let them sit untouched in the pantry.  And guess what, I am so glad I did.

Upon arrival I waltzed into the kitchen where a smorgasbord greeted me.  Amongst the mounds of brisket, racks of ribs, fruit platters, beans, quick pickles, chips & dip, sat four, yes, FOUR pasta salads.  Yes!  My laziness had finally paid off!

The pasta salad of mention comes from a tiny tea house near Houston.  It was a place where my high school friends and I would dine and feel very....ummmm...sophisticated, or grownup?  It makes me laugh a little now.  I would always order a trio of salads called "The Conductor's Plate".  I loved their pasta salad so much and was ecstatic when my friend, Kara, sent me the recipe.

This recipe does make a lot and would be perfect for potlucks, family picnics or barbecues.  I made it for my Grandparents 50th Wedding Celebration in June and it was a hit.  I was actually surprised to see it dwindle so quickly off the buffet table.  The tang of the dressing and array of textures make it very pleasing to the palate.  No matter if you serve it cold or at room temperature, this colorful salad will certainly be a party pleaser.

Teapot Depot Pasta Salad
tweaked a tad by yours truly

12 cups Tri Color corkscrew pasta, cooked & drained
6 chopped tomatoes
2-3 broccoli crowns, chopped
1/2 c. sliced black olives
1/2 c. sliced green olives
1 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 small jar pimientos
Wishbone Italian Dressing (any other brand and it just won't taste right!), amount depends on how moist you like your pasta salad.
Salt & Pepper
  1. Mix all together; season to taste

No comments: