source: Barefoot Contessa Family Style, Ina Garten
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup. Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Dust the bottom of a 9x13 inch non metal pan with confectioners sugar and pour in the marshmallow batter. Smooth the top of the mixture with damp hands. Sprinkle more confectioners sugar to the top and allow to dry uncovered at room temperature overnight.
- Remove the marshmallows from the pan and cut into squares (or use cookie cutters as I did above). Roll the sides of each piece carefully in confectioners' sugar. Store uncovered at room temperature.