Monday, October 11, 2010

Dr. Pepper Peanut Brittle


I don't know why I think of Halloween every time I think of peanut brittle.  My grandmother made peanut brittle during the holidays and it always made its presence on the table at their annual Christmas Eve party, but I always think of it as a Halloween snack.  Maybe I should ask her if she made a batch during Halloween and the thought of it is trying to break through my subconscious.

This however, is not her recipe for brittle.  I started making Dr. Pepper Peanut Brittle when my husband was trying to kick the habit...of Dr. Pepper, I should say.  He was a serious addict.  One night he brought home a 3 liter bottle, yes, a 3 liter bottle of this stuff-it was gone in a day and a half.  I hate Dr. Pepper...so I know, and he knew who drank that whole bottle.  After me making some serious fun of him, and maybe a realization of a dependency, he decided to ween off of it.  He has been "clean" for several months now.  As a treat I make him this special little brittle.  It is so good and...addicting (OH NO!! What have I done???)

Dr. Pepper Peanut Brittle
Print Me!
1 ¼ c. sugar
¾ c. butter
1 ½ t. salt
¼ c. Dr. Pepper
2 c. lightly salted peanuts
½ t. baking soda

1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with pan sprayed foil.
2. Combine the first four ingredients in a saucepan and cook on medium heat bringing it to a boil, stirring often.
3. Once the temperature has reached 290°F on a candy thermometer, remove from heat and add peanuts. Stir. Add baking soda, and stir to combine.
4. Pour mixture onto foil lined baking sheet and cool until hardened. Break candy into shards.

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I LOVE peanut brittle, but I don't like Dr. Pepper either. So, you like this even though you don't like Dr. Pepper? I may have to try this. My peanut brittle always turns out chewy. I know I need to do a better job with the candy thermometer. I better have Lloyd try to make this, not me. He will be able to get it to work. haha.

Mama Pea said...

p.s. I linked to you on my blog!

Bunny said...

I've never seen Dr. Pepper peanut brittle! I love your pic, it's fantastic!! I'm gonna have to bookmark this for the holidays!