My 19 month old son is crazy about grapefruit, Rio Star Grapefruit to be exact. Rio Star Grapefruit is a beautifully blushed grapefruit with a brilliant red interior. This South Texas grown fruit is sweet and juicy-and who can blame him, how could he not love it!
I wanted to make something special from the juice I've accumulated in the past week (I've been a segmenting fool around here!). So, I thought I'd make a GO TEXAN cupcake.
The GO TEXAN program promotes products, cultures and communities of Texas. You can easily recognize a GO TEXAN brand mark, and it is exactly what I said-a brand mark-in the shape of Texas. The program persuades the millions of Texans to buy, dine, travel and support the state's farmers, artisans and small business owners. If you've ever met a Texan, you'll know that their loyalty to the state is the reason why GO TEXAN has been so successful.
Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit & Lavender Cupcakes showcase some of Texas' best. Sweet Ruby Star Grapefruit perfumed with flecks of hill country lavender and sweetened with Lone Star Honey is absolutely delectable. The cake is somewhat dense and not too sweet, which compliments the icing's light, airy texture and sweet, subtle grapefruit flavor.
Grapefruit, Honey & Lavender Cupcakes
courtesy of the National Honey Board
yield: 12-14 regular size cupcakes
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 3/4 cup honey
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons dried lavender flowers
• 1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and honey until fluffy. Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. With the back of a spoon, crush lavender flowers and combine with flour mixture, mix well and set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, combine grapefruit juice and buttermilk; set aside.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
3. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until combined. Slowly add the grapefruit mixture, mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
4. Fill paper-lined muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Remove to wire rack; cool. Frost with Pink Grapefruit
Pink Grapefruit Buttercream Frosting
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
• 2 Tablespoons honey
• 4-5 cups confectioners sugar
• 1 -2 drops of red food coloring, optional
1. In a mixing bow, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add grapefruit juice and honey; mix well. Add confectioners sugar, one cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Add dye if a darker pink is desired.