What a LIE! It isn't until several hours later that a light clicks on in my head and the answer is revealed (and I am reminded)-the sandwich. I LOVE sandwiches.
I think for many, the appeal of food is the combination of flavors, layers and different textures. Well, isn't that a sandwich?The perfect sandwich, for me, has to be toasted. It has to have buttery Havarti and turkey, preferably smoked turkey breast and a combination of sweet and savory-something along the lines of cranberry. Of course, color is important too!
My husband and I often frequented a sandwich shop across from the university where he worked. I always ordered #22, turkey with cream cheese and avocado. I really liked it, but it needed a kick. Here is my version of #22, which is perfect for using those Thanksgiving leftovers.My Favorite: Turkey Sandwich
- Start out with two slices of good bread (crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside). I use a French loaf. Lightly drizzle one side of each slice with olive oil. Lay slices oiled side down. Lets start building our sandwich!!!
- Spread room temperature cream cream over the slices of bread. Top cream cheese with slices of Havarti cheese.
- Add a layer of sliced, smoked turkey breast to the top of one of the slices of bread. Add slices of avocado on top of the turkey.
- Slather a layer of cranberry sauce on the other slice of bread. Combine slices together and press down slightly.
- Place in a preheated sandwich/panini press and press and cook for about 7 minutes or until heated through and cheese has melted.