Sunday, March 10, 2013

around the hive: austin kite festival


I have been hosting Easter brunch for my family ever since we moved into our house four years ago.  This year however, I had changed my plans because we will be attending a wedding on Easter weekend.  So instead of egg hunts and Easter baskets, we ate a small breakfast in my kitchen and picnicked under a kite filled sky.  You can find the menu & recipes here!

Tickled that a dog came to join their picnic

Such a good baby.
After almost five years of being back in Texas I have finally accepted the fact that we will be sticking around for a little while.  With that knowledge and despite the fact that I loathe the Texas heat, I have found a little glimmer of hope within my surroundings.  I love how close I am to Austin, as my dad says, it is right out my backdoor.  I love that I can go to parks, museums, and festivals, and I do love the city.  As E grows older I feel more comfortable bringing him to the city's events.  This was our second visit to the kite festival and this time I brought my parents, sister, nephew and niece.

This is why I'm beginning to *almost* like it here

We found a spot along the rim of the festival and laid down the blanket.  I spread our picnic feast onto the blanket; mom's chicken salad, tuna salad, pumpkin bread, spiced mixed nuts, mini croissants, flatbread, the kid's pb&j fruit & potato chips.  We sat and ate and watched the hundreds upon hundreds of kites fly across the park, slightly battered by the cool wind yet basking in the warmth of the sun.  This may become the new tradition rather than our Easter celebration.  We shall see how my family weighs in on that idea.

Sno-cones...a must have

No comments: