Thursday, December 13, 2012

a silent moment (recipe: hot chocolate mix)


I rarely have a silent moment.  Those moments are so few that when I do experience absolute quiet I stop and immediately acknowledge it.  I meditate.  I exhale.  I cherish it.  I suppose I had taken silence for granted for so long that I never knew how beautiful silence could be.  Until now.

I sit here writing this post in quiet.  Just me, my fingers tapping the keys and the sound of a fan spinning overhead.  I've wrapped presents, vacuumed the stairs and rug, swept and polished Eli's floor and now I sit in the still, silent calm for a moment.

A few nights back my family took a stroll through our neighborhood000. admiring the lights.  The air was cool, the kind of coolness that seems to push the heft & weight of hot air far away, leaving the wind cleansed and pure.  And for a moment, just a hint of time, there was absolute silence.  It was a dream.  I breathed it in.  I recharged.  I exhaled.  I cherished that split second of time.

We returned home, laid Eli to bed and I poured myself a mug of Hot Chocolate.

Chocolate Chaud (Hot Chocolate Mix)
I've already packaged some of this hot chocolate mix into jam jars and will be giving them as gifts this year.  It will go great with homemade marshmallows.  It is not too sweet, dense & chocolaty.

yield:  10 cups of Hot Chocolate
6 ½ ounces dark chocolate (55-65%)
3 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder  
1 oz brown sugar
6 ½ ounces granulated sugar
1 oz cornstarch
Optional:  vanilla stick

  1. Finely grate the dark chocolate using a food processor (though be careful of it getting too hot and melting) or by hand using a fine grater.
  2. Mix the sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch into a bowl.  Rub the mixture with your fingers to ensure the cornstarch is incorporated throughout and has no lumps.
  3. Add finely grated chocolate & cocoa into the bowl with the sugar and cornstarch.  Mix until combined.
  4. Place into storage jars and store in a cool, dry place.
To make Hot Chocolate
  1. Place 3 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix into a mug.
  2. Heat 2/3 cup milk until hot, but not scalding.
  3. Pour milk into mug and stir until chocolate in dissolved.
  4. Add marshmallow or sweetened whipped cream.

No comments: